The Physical Performance Show: Assoc Prof Dr Shona Halson (REWIRED): Athletic Recovery Essentials
In episode 349 of The Physical Performance Show Brad Beer shares a conversation with Assoc Professor Dr Shona Halson, World Acclaimed Expert, Senior Exercise Physiologist and Researcher sharing Athletic Recovery Essentials in this rewired Expert Edition.
Shona is a Professor at the Australian Catholic University’s School of Behavioural and Health Sciences on the Sunshine Coast and formally Shona was the Head Recovery Physiologist at the Australian Institute of Sport from 2002 – 2018 having been part of three Olympic campaigns with the Australian Olympic Committee.
Professor Halson was named as one of Exercise and Sport Sciences Australia’s three female leaders in Exercise and Sport Science on International Women’s Day in 2019. Shona has over 130 peer reviewed articles and multiple book chapters to her professional name and consults to the Australian Open Tennis Tournament, Nike, as part of the Nike Performance Council, alongside being a trusted adviser to countless elite teams and athletes both in Australia and internationally.
To listen to Episode 349:
Listen in as we delve into the following:
- Summarising Shona’s Professional Career
- Recovery and why it matters
- Cause and effect of training performance adaptation
- Advice around periodisation of recovery
- Other stressors for athletes aside from the demands of training
- What happens when recovery does not go well (Overtraining)
- Athletes recovering well
- Importance of data
- Importance of Sleep in recovery
- Links to Bone Health and Sleep
- Paradox of fatigue and sleepiness
- Balancing Sleep
- Trends in Sleep alertness
- Best advice around nutrition
- Role of Compression Garments, Massage Therapy and other modalities in recovery
As we very well know, everyone is different, but we all get the same 24 hours to make the most of each day. We know it can be so tough to squeeze in that training session or get the optimal amount of sleep into our busy schedule. But it does not have to be this way!
To follow Dr Shona Halson
Livestream Event: “Dr Shona Halson – Recovery Essentials for Optimal Performance”
Episode 238 of The Physical Performance Show – ‘Periodising Recovery for the Athlete’
Episode 245 of The Physical Performance Show – ‘Recovery Science Q&A’
Episode 307 of The Physical Performance Show – ‘Summer Series Part 2: Recovery with Dr Shona Halson’