Shock Wave Therapy
Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT) is a popular intervention for the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders.
What is it?
Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT) is a popular intervention for the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders. Using special technology shock wave therapy machines will deliver precise mechanical energy pulses to tissues within the body; in turn promoting and stimulating local healing.
Who can it benefit?
Patients suffering from the following:
- plantar fasciitis (2, 4, 5)
- calcific shoulder tendinopathy (2, 6, 7)
- glute medius tendinopathy (1)
- lateral epicondylagia (2, 3)
- midportion achilles tendinopathy (1)
What is the Patient’s Cost?
Despite the cost of acquiring the shock wave therapy technology we do not charge extra for the service. We include the treatment inside a standard physiotherapy consultation. Click HERE>> for more information or to make a booking.
If you are unsure if ESWT is a good option for you problem or not, feel free to contact the POGO Physio Team HERE>>
- Mani-Babu S, Morrissey D, Waugh C, Screen H, Barton C. The Effectiveness of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy in Lower Limb Tendinopathy: A Systematic Review. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2014Sep;43(3):752–61.
- Speed C. A systematic review of shockwave therapies in soft tissue conditions: focusing on the evidence. British Journal of Sports Medicine Br J Sports Med. 2013May;48(21):1538–42.
- Buchbinder R, Green S, Youd JM, Assendelft WJ, Barnsley L, Smidt N. Shock wave therapy for lateral elbow pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews Reviews. 2005;
- Yin M-C, Ye J, Yao M, Cui X-J, Xia Y, Shen Q-X, et al. Is Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy Clinical Efficacy for Relief of Chronic, Recalcitrant Plantar Fasciitis? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Placebo or Active-Treatment Controlled Trials. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2014;95(8):1585–93.
- Dizon JNC, Gonzalez-Suarez C, Zamora MTG, Gambito ED. Effectiveness of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy in Chronic Plantar Fasciitis. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 2013;92(7):606–20.
- Verstraelen FU, N. J. H. M. In Den Kleef, Jansen L, Morrenhof JW. High-energy Versus Low-energy Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy for Calcifying Tendinitis of the Shoulder: Which is Superior? A Meta-analysis. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research® Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014;472(9):2816–25.
- Huisstede BM, Gebremariam L, Sande RVD, Hay EM, Koes BW. Evidence for effectiveness of Extracorporal Shock-Wave Therapy (ESWT) to treat calcific and non-calcific rotator cuff tendinosis – A systematic review. Manual Therapy. 2011;16(5):419–33.