AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill
It’s the closest thing to running on the moon while on earth!
This NASA designed treadmill allows users to run at a percentage of their body weight. The Alter G minimizes stress on recovering injuries, allowing someone with an injury to recover faster while maintain fitness along the way.
Rehabilitation on the AlterG Treadmill
The AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill is a great rehabilitation tool.
- Bone stress injuries: stress reactions and fractures of the feet, shins, thigh.
- Lower back pain: low level jogging, and progressive jogging without loading up the lower back
- Post-surgery: rehabilitation following joint replacement surgery(knee, hip)
- Physical therapy following an injury or surgery on a lower extremity (hip, knee, ankle or foot)
- Gait training and strengthening for neurological patients
- Strengthening and conditioning in a fall-safe environment for older patients
- Weight-loss programs
- Injury prevention during sport specific conditioning and fitness improvement programs
Training on the AlterG Treadmill
For injured athletes, it isn’t enough to just get back on their feet. The goal is to get back to their pre-injury peak condition. Incorporating an AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill into an existing sports injury rehabilitation program will help athletes:
- Gain the confidence to push themselves harder during the recovery process, and see specific and quantifiable gains as they progress.
- Maintain and develop cardiovascular conditioning without stressing injured areas
- Train with their natural gait, and avoid developing compensatory habits
- Achieve higher level training sooner than otherwise possible
- Reduce the risk of re-injury after returning to the field, court, or track
- Allows PTs and Athletic Trainers to set recovery benchmarks for athletes to measure and motivate progress
- Enables athletes to recover faster and with less pain
- Helps athletes maintain cardiovascular fitness and strength while the injured area heals.
- Allows recovering athletes to exercise with normal gait mechanics, minimizing the chance of compensatory problems later.
- Gives PTs and Athletic Trainers the ability to easily monitor and adjust the athlete’s form, gait, etc.
- Is fall safe and easy to use, reducing the need for athlete supervision in the training room
- Lets athletes enjoy the rehabilitation process with the confidence that they will be back on the court, field, or track as quickly as possible.
- Ideal for triathletes training for 70.3, or ironman races, under heavy training loads.
- Recreational runners preparing for an event such as a debut marathon, aiming to remain injury free
- Competitive runners pushing their training aiming to remain injury free and improve their performance
Many of the world’s top runners incorporate Alter G use into their normal training routines. The purpose being to ‘de-load’ their legs in order to decrease the likelihood of injury. For example 2016 AUS Olympic Games 5,000 and 10,000m finalist Eloise Wellings utilised regular AlterG anti-gravity treadmill sessions in her 2016 Rio Olympic Games campaign.
To find out more, read The 5 Top Ways the AlterG can Benefit Runners.