Side Bridge with Scissor Kick – Core Stability and Glute Med Strength Exercise
Side Bridge with Scissor Kick
This is a terrific core stability and strengthening exercise for the gluteus medius muscle and tendon.
The exercise is known as a ‘Side Bridge with Scissor Kick’.
– On one side on your elbow with the elbow beneath the shoulder
– raise the hips off the floor
– raise the top arm up to the sky
Performing the Exercise
– Raise and lower the top leg without letting the hips drop or the bum stick out behind
– Keep the ankles, knees, hips and shoulders in line.
– Start with a low number of repetitions and build up. As an example you may start with 3×6 reps and progress to 3×12 reps.
– Aiming to build up to 50 reps on each side continuously
It is an advanced exercise so would form part of a latter stage hip rehabilitation program or an injury free runner or lower limb athlete’s strength and maintenance program.
If you have any questions please leave your comments and we will reply.
POGO Senior Physio
Author of Amazon Bestseller ‘ You Can Run Pain Free’
For more information on the book click HERE