POGO Athlete – Sam Weir
POGO Athlete – Sam Weir; Endurance Athlete
We are delighted to introduce our newest member of the POGO Athlete program; Sam Weir
At the start of 2006 till 2011 Sam was heavily involved in the sport of Surfing, as a Sponsored surfer travelling for contests and exploring waves all over the world to stay at the competitive level, unfortunately due to injury surfing then became a passion.
Running was a sport Sam stumbled into, purchasing his first pair of shoes and running 50km as his first taste of the sport. Running long distances until Ultra Marathons where introduced to him, Coming 4th in his first experience at the 50km Beach Ultra Marathon in 2012 which sparked the competitive drive and determination in Sam. Since then Sam has been passionate about leading a healthy lifestyle, motivating others and sustaining my fitness level to compete within Australia and international running events.
Over the past short 2 years Sam has travelled the world raising money for organisations who need it most with his events. This has seen him become the first to walk from one side of PNG to the other, run mountains in New Zealand, Live in the wild of Africa, Climb the worlds tallest free standing mountain, Run Australia’s toughest foot race twice and obtain 5 Australian Ultra Marathon records, and course records. Recently Sam has crossed into the Triathlon World with a success in winning his first ever Triathlon , looking forward to hopefully qualifying for the World Champs.
Current Career Highlights
- 1st place (age group) Gatorade series Rnd 4
- 1st place BSC Hinze dam Trail series 25km
- 2nd (age group) Tarawera 100km ultra marathon
- 1st place (age group) Gatorade series Rnd 6
- 1st place in 81hrs 46minutes, 450km ANZAC ULTRA
- Cairns Ironman 9th age group. (25-29)
- Climbed Mt Kilimanjaro (tallest free standing mountain in the world).
- 2nd place, BODY SCIENCE Short coarse trail series
- 3rd place BODY SCIENCE (up the buff) 16km trail race
- First in history to walk across Papua New Guinea in 10 days, for charity LEGACY
- KOKODA track crossing in PNG 96km 6 days
- 8th in the KOKODA Challenge Gold Coast July
- 1st place Age group Gatorade Series race 1 – Triathlon
- GNW 100 miler 9th place 32hrs
- C2K 240km Ultra marathon 34 hrs 24 mins
- The North Face 50km Trail (Blue Mountains) – 6hrs 19mins
- 4th Gold Coast Super Marathon 100km
- 7th in the Caboolture National 24hr Ultra
- Caboolture 24hr Nationals finisher.
- 2nd Tour De Valley TT teams (bike shop class)
- Awarded Corns Golden boot as runner of the events hosted.
- 1st in NED KELLY 100km bike/run Ultra marathon
- 2nd in age group 18-39 in GNW 110miles, Australia’s toughest ultra marathon (28hrs 40 minutes)
U N D E R 25 AU S T R A L I A N R E CO R D ’S (CURRENTLY HELD):
- Course record ANZAC ULTRA. 450km distance 2014
- 240km C2K age group course record
- 12 hr record Aura track.
- 24Hrs Record (Under 25 Age Group). First to walk the width of Papua New Guinea 2013
- 50 Miles record (6hrs 49mins)
- 6Hrs record (72.5km)
- 100km record (8hrs 45mins).
- Open Australian record, run/bike 100km (7hrs 09mins)
- Australia’s fastest 50 mile runner for 2013
- Australia’s 6th fastest runner for 6h