The Physical Performance Show: Jenny Valentish – Author ‘Everything Harder than Everyone Else’
In episode 313 of The Physical Performance Show, Brad Beer shares a conversation with Jenny Valentish – Author ‘Everything Harder than Everyone Else’ in this Interest Edition.
Jenny Valentish, Author and Journalist, has just released a new book “Everything Harder than Everyone Else”, why some of us push our bodies to extremes.
Jenny is the author of the acclaimed Woman of Substances, a regular contributor to The Sydney Morning Herald and the Saturday Paper and a former Editor of Timeout Melbourne, and Triple J’s J Mag.
When Jenny wrote her book about addiction, she noticed that people who treated drug taking like an Olympic sport would often hurl themselves into a pursuit such as a marathon or ultra-marathon upon getting sober. What stayed constant was the need to push their boundaries.
The book follows people doing the things that most people couldn’t, wouldn’t or shouldn’t. The interviewees in Jenny’s book lead Jenny on a journey through psychology, endurance and the power of obsession, revealing what we can learn about the human condition.
I’d call this a handbook into analysing why you do what you do as an endurance athlete.
To listen to Episode 313:
Listen in as we delve into the following:
- Welcome Jenny author of “Everything Harder than Anything Else”
- Her life as an author and the background context behind the book
- What she learnt from the interviewees
- Muay Thai Training
- How ADHD is commonly connected with elite athletes
- How dysfunctional backgrounds can influence adulthood pursuits especially Body Building
- Why Jenny explored BDSM for content whilst writing the book
- Chapter 5; Levelling Up (Martial Arts)
- Discussing the Chapter; Anger is the Energy
- Key messages – Final Chapter; The first death, retirement, and reinvention
- How Jenny’s outlooks are changing off the back of this book
- What Jenny has personally gained writing the book
- What’s next for Jenny
Headline Sponsor: POLAR
Polar are a sports technology company who build world class heart rate monitors and GPS watches for people who take their health, fitness and sports performance seriously. Coming from the heart of the Nordics, they have the experience, insight, and history of quality, design and innovation which is unparalleled. Worn by some of the best athletes on the planet, we’re very excited to have Polar as a partner here so you can also access their heart rate monitors, watches and training platform.
As a starting bonus, the team at Polar are offering 15% off. If it’s time for you to check out a new heart rate monitor or watch to help improve your performance, head across to Polar.com and use the code TPPS on selected products.
Featured Sponsor: Earshots
Lock on, train on & rock on with Earshots.
They have you covered for staying motivated while you train
Their patented Magnetic ear clip means you can push your limits without being distracted by annoying cords or earbuds that fall out.
Use the code PERFORMANCE at Earshots.com for 10% off your purchase