The Physical Performance Show: Dr Jessica Orchard (Sports Cardiology & Cardiac Screening Researcher, Assoc. Editor @BJSM_BMJ ): Cardiac Health for the Endurance Athlete
Episode 347 of The Physical Performance Show is a rewired Expert Edition featuring Dr Jessica Orchard (Sports Cardiology & Cardiac Screening Researcher, Assoc. Editor @BJSM_BMJ ): Cardiac Health for the Endurance Athlete.
Dr Jessica Orchard is a Sports Cardiology and Screening Researcher, a Heart Foundation Post-doctoral Fellow and the Associate Editor of the British Journal of Sports Medicine and an adjunct Senior Lecturer at the University of Sydney, widely published across cardiac screening in athletes.
In this episode Dr Jessica Orchard sheds light on many of the key topics that endurance athletes want to know about their cardiac health, including a listener Q&A session.
To listen to Episode 347:
Listen in as we delve into the following:
- The effects endurance training has on the heart
- Structural changes that can result in ‘Athletes Heart’
- Electrical changes
- Common cardiac issues an endurance athlete could experience
- Defining Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT)
- Breaking down Cardiac Screening
- Risk factors in certain sports
- Top 3 tips for endurance athletes to maintain cardiac health
- What athletes should be monitoring with regards to COVID
- Listener Q&A Session
To follow Dr Jessica Orchard
Pro @ Heart Study – Assessing the long-term health effects of endurance exercise training
This study aims to be the largest international study to assess the effects of endurance exercise on the heart. This link explains the study, including who is able to participate.