The Physical Performance Show: Dane Bird-Smith – AUS Olympian: Bronze Medallist Rio 20km Race Walk
Episode 36: Dane Bird-Smith – AUS Olympian: Bronze Medallist Rio 20km Race Walk
Brad Beer recently sat down with AUS Olympian: Bronze Medallist Rio 20km Race Walk – Dane Bird-Smith for Episode 36 of The Physical Performance Show podcast.
Brad has a fire-side chat with Dane who unpacks his preparation and training as well as the triumph of winning a bronze at the Rio Olympic Games.
To listen to Episode 36
To listen to the full interview on I -Tunes click HERE>> for Dane Bird-Smith.
To listen to the interview on Soundcloud click HERE>>
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to ensure you get our future upcoming exciting guests!
In this episode Dane shares:
- How Dane got into Race Walking.
- Dane picking up Race Walking naturally and winning nationals all within a year
- Training for World Juniors
- Setting a 10km record
- Gaining qualification to Rio Olympics
- Unpacking the Rio Olympic Games
- The last 3km of the race and the challenge set
- The emotion of finishing third in Rio
- Working and training on technique
- Dane’s Dad on the emotion of the win.
- Where the nickname ‘Birdman’ came from
- The medal – weight and heaviness and what it means to him (see below for video of Dane with his medal).
- Dane’s future goals
- Dane’s physical challenge – L Sit for 5 seconds (see below).
To follow Dane Bird-Smith
4:00 Why being able to achieve scares Dane the most
7:00 How Dane got into Race Walking.
14:00 Picking up Race Walking naturally and winning nationals
18:00 Training for World Juniors
23:30 Setting a 10km record
26:30 Gaining qualification to Rio
27:15 Unpacking Rio Olympic Games
35:00 The last 3km and the challenge set
40:00 Finishing third in Rio
43:35 Working on technique
46:30 Dane’s Dad on the emotion of the win.
53:10 Where did the nickname ‘Birdman’ come from
58:00 The medal – weight and heaviness and what it means to him
59:40 Rapid Fire Questions
64:30 Derek Redmans
69:00 Race day tip
71:45 Challenge of training with Dad
75:00 Dane’s future goals
77:00 Dane’s physical challenge – L Sit for 5 seconds
For questions and comments about this Episode
Send to the show host @Brad_Beer (Twitter)